Search This Blog

8.12.2010

Finding The Muse

Writer's have Block periods. So do Visual Artists. In fact that is where I am at right now.
I remember seeing the movie "the Muse" years ago,  which i found uhum... aMusing to say the least. I suppose the part I most remember is that while Albert Brooks character actually employed the MUSE to help him, it was the wife who caught the end reward of this muse, with the discovery of her own skill and inspiration to begin a business of her own which ultimately flourishes.

Symbolically, I see the muse as creativity itself.

Creative bents are expensive, demanding, inflexible, unforgiving yet rewarding and full of purpose. Being an artist myself, I totally relate to the relentless nature of creative inspiration and the demands it makes on one's life while others question the sanity of the bohemian discipline - or the lack thereof! There is another aspect of the film showing the way men and women respond to creativity. Brooks reacted to the muse with concrete expectations of some magical answer, black and white and on paper. While his wife received the essence of the muse's windfall and she bloomed with confidence creating her own inspired business. There is feminine and masculine side to all of us especially in living creatively. One makes choices from a black or white angle or filled with a spectrum of color. Viewed this way the film easily points to the emotion and mental battle between reason and creative abandon.

I enjoyed this movie - wanting to find that muse myself. Sarah, the muse played by Sharon Stone told Albert every time she said something: "Did you write this down?" a stark reminder to myself to write, paint and draw all the things I see, feel and experience. No muse needed!

~~~~~
LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS on art, music or life. Subscribe today! AmalgamArts

No comments: