Search This Blog

8.17.2010

Dead, Ugly Brushes - ALIVE!

Turpentine stinks. Even the odorless brand is strong. It doesn't always clean oil paint off the brushes very well. Over time they become dead, ugly brushes. I had several terminally ill brushes, ready for the bin. 

Thinking I could revive them with turp, soap and water along with tender loving care they were carefully put through the cycle of cleansing. Sadly, 3 of my favorite sable brushes were near hard as the wood handle. Normally, good brushes cleaned right up , especially the ones that cost $$$'s.


Then I remembered to use my Melaleuca stain remover solvent, out of my newly ordered Melaleuca Pack of products. This exotic, yet potent cleaner is in a small bottle yet highly concentrated. You only need 1 oz Sol-U-Mel added to 16 oz. of distilled water, it can also be used straight.

I put the sticky brushes, plus one palette knife (cruddy with old paint)into 1TBS of Sol-U-Mel into about 3 inches of water and an old plastic cup. I just dipped and cleaned the good brushes - left the others overnight.



To my total amazement the paint slid off the knife and the once hardened brushes were flexible and alive with bounce! WOW - Sol-U-Mel works! SOL-U-MEL No 292 now sits in my studio to clean all paint brushes. 

Preventative Measures: From now on all oil paint brushes are scraped and dipped briefly into turpentine, then into the Sol-U-Mel dip. This way no brush will die dried paint. This solution also cleans watercolor brushes, stain from spills and paint pans.


SO - if you are an artist, it's worth your while to join Melaleuca for this one product. The 8 oz. bottle makes up to 64 ounces of solvent. It's eco-sense powered by nature is non-toxic and eco-friendly. Connect with me for more information on how to purchase this. rasama@me.com


In it's own words: 
What Stains Does Sol-U-Mel Remove? Sol-U-Mel is a miracle worker when it comes to even the toughest stains—like tar, grease, gum, fingernail polish, paint, glue, juice, tree sap, candle wax, and more. Sol-U-Mel even dissolves permanent marker on contact.

No comments: